Monday 7 April 2014

Tommy, Vehicle and Transport Programme, Lorries and mobile machinery.

Hello! My name is Tommy Segersteen and I am a teacher at the Vehicle and transport program with orientation Lorries and mobile machinery in BorĂ¥s, the school name is Viskastrand High School. 
It's my second year as a teacher and worked as a mechanic at substantially heavier vehicles before that. This photo is the front of my workplace.

This is the entrance to the workshop. The workshop is about 3 km from the main school.

 This is the workshop!
 To the left is an old Volvo FH12a that the students do some exercises on, the red car with rotating beacons are our service car and with that the students go out and do field work on the other educational programs vehicle, the white is the main transport vehicle that the students go and get parts to vehicles that we repair. The blue truck cab belonging to a crashed FH12a that we got from Volvo, the plan is to repair and used for educational purposes.

 This is a student who will take apart an AC compressor and see what it looks like inside and then answer some questions.

Here have a student removed a transmission on a truck and removed the bell housing to check why it sounds bad on the reverse. The truck gearbox sits on a Volvo FM7-owned transport orientation that students have repaired and serviced.

 Here is a student who welds an excavator bucket. The entire left side was replaced in the bucket. When we got the bucket it was very cracked.

14 comments:

  1. Pleased to see that the welder are using protective wear, although his sleeves are a bit short for his wrist ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we work a lot with the students to wear the correct protective clothing and we have gloves that are longer than those he is wearing, which he should have had.

      Delete
    2. Yes he should have.

      It's a nice excavator barbeque he's making though ;)

      Delete
  2. Hello Tommy, can you see if you should start teaching the student with theoretic knowledge first or practical? Or do you think that it makes no different which you start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get with both theory and practice in my lessons and exercises they're doing at the same time, but sometimes there are more of one or the other. Much of the theory is the kind of thing that we are not able to made ​​practical. Sometimes it can be useful to start with theory and sometimes start practical so that the student have something to relate to when he / she then read about it.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Tommy, most of the time it's easier for the students to read (or understand a movie, or listen to a speach) about certain elements right after they have seen or tried it in action in the workshop. After the lesson about health and safety, the students I have where I work at the moment (grown ups), always get to try a little welding in the workshop before I introduce them to the litterature. Then they easier understand what they are reading, and what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  3. Hello Tommy. Do you also teach about work enwironment safety? before they are working in real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talk a lot about the risks of different types of jobs and how to avoid getting hurt when we for example going to repair a truck, couse it's very heavy things we are working on. Students have studied very health and safety laws in year 1 but I'll take up a lot of stuff in my teaching.

      Delete
    2. Hello again Tommy. I was mainly interested in the welding. Becuase I can´t see any ventilations? The smok from welding is harmful.

      Delete
    3. Hello again Olof! We usually take down a exhaust extraction when welding takes place outside the welding booth but at this point he has probably forgotten about it and I thought, I do not think that either.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tommy, how old are the students who are in your classes? How many students would you have in each class? At my school we have about 20 students in a class, and their ages range from 16-19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine, my students are the same as yours between 16-19 years and I currently have 9 students in year 2 and 7 students in year 3.

      Delete
  5. Hello Tommy
    I saw one of the first photos when you describ the purpose with different cars. In that description it seams that the courses are depending of what cind of cars you have? This is not critisism but one of my thoughts.
    Could you do a beter cours if you have other cars? If you could choose oter cars whwt kind of vihicle should you buy? and how should that improve your education?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Olof you've probably misunderstood the text of the photo, I describe what vehicles are used to, I thought it might be difficult to see otherwise. The red truck is the only truck that our education has to conduct training on then there is the blue truck but it is too crashed to do exerciseson. The red truck is from the early ninety's and much of the technology found in trucks today are not in it, so yes a truck that is in phase with days technology would make the training better. Then it is all my courses mainly on truck technology and mechanical engineering, and they're going to learn practical to screw with these vehicles and troubleshoot their technology. The vehicle that I had wanted in my education is a working truck with current modern technique.

    ReplyDelete